On this page...
The Department of Inspections, Appeals, and Licensing (DIAL) regulates boilers and unfired steam pressure vessels according to Iowa Code Chapter 89.Back to top
Laws & Rules
Whether your vessel is covered by Iowa law depends on location, pressure, size, and type of the equipment.
Pressure vessel coverage is limited to unfired steam pressure vessels. Effective July 1, 2018, some water heaters will no longer be covered by these requirements. A water heater with capacity less than or equal to 120 gallons, burner input less than or equal to 200,000 Btu’s, and maximum allowable working pressure less than 160 psi will become exempt July 1, 2018.
Laws. Laws are contained in the Iowa Code. They are enacted by the Iowa legislature and provide statutory authority to the licensure boards.
Administrative rules. Boards adopt rules to interpret and implement the Iowa Code. Administrative rules have the force and effect of law.
- Chapter 90 - Administration of the Boiler and Pressure Vessel Program
- Chapter 91 - General Requirements for all Objects
- Chapter 92 - Power Boilers
- Chapter 93 - Miniature Boilers Installed Prior to September 20, 2006
- Chapter 94 - Steam Heating Boilers, Hot Water Heating Boilers and Hot Water Supply Boilers
- Chapter 95 - Water Heaters
- Chapter 96 - Pressure Vessels
Back to top