The service technician HVAC specialty license is a sublicense under an HVAC-refrigeration or mechanical license that allows licensees to perform work from the appliance shutoff valve to the appliance and any part and component of the appliance, including the disconnection and reconnection of the existing appliance to the gas piping and the installation of a shutoff valve no more than 3 feet away from the appliance.
Certification from North American Technician Excellence, Inc (NATE) or a Service Technician Associate degree or equivalent board-approved training is required for licensure. Approved organizations are listed below. Other organizations may be considered with approval of the board.
To be eligible, file an application, submit proof of NATE certification or other board-approved training, and pay the appropriate licensing fee. Application requirements are listed below.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must no record of felony conviction relating to the profession as determined by the board. Applicants with a felony conviction will be subject to review by the board to determine eligibility for licensure.
- Submit evident of valid certification from North American Technician Excellence, Inc. (NATE) or an equivalent authority approved by the board, or evidence that the applicant completed a Service Technician Associate degree or equivalent educational or similar training approved by the board.
Black Hills Energy
- Black Hills Energy HVAC Technician Program
- DMACC, Heating, AC, Refrigeration Technology AAS
- Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning/Refrigeration program
Hawkeye Community College
- Heating, AC, Refrigeration Technology AAS
- Technicians Certifications
- Core Installation Plus One Specialty Certificate
- Core Service Plus One Specialty Certificate
- Senior Technician Certificate
- Ground Source Heat Pump Loop Installation Certificate
- Master Specialist Hands-On Certification
Indian Hills Community College
- Industrial Maintenance Diploma
- Electrical Systems and Commercial Refrigeration & Residential Heating/ Cooling Diploma
Iowa Central Community College
- HVAC Technology
- Mechanical Technology
Iowa Lakes Community College
- Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Technology Program AAS
Iowa Western Community College
- HVAC/R Technology Diploma
Kirkwood Community College
- Industrial Maintenance and HVAC Technology Program AAS
Midwest Technical Institute
- HVAC/R-MAR Diploma Program
North American Technician Excellence, Inc
North East Iowa Community College
- Heating and Cooling Diploma
North Iowa Area Community College
- Climate Control Technology AAS
- Heating & Air Conditioning Technology AAS
- Certified Member Certification
- Certified Member Specialist Certification
Scott Community College
- Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning AAS
- Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Diploma
- Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Certificate Program
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Maintenance Technician Diploma
Western Iowa Tech
- Air Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration Diploma
- Please see our fees page and look under specialty license fees.