Initial Permit and Renewal Applications
For each initial permit or timely renewed permit, an applicant shall pay a nonrefundable fee of $180.
All permits expire December 31 of the current calendar year. Failure to renew a permit prior to January 1 following the permit’s expiration requires payment of the renewal fee plus a $180 late penalty fee.
Federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies, and analytical laboratories are exempt from payment of permit fees, but are not exempt from the requirements to obtain a permit nor any other requirements or duties prescribed by law.
A permit is not required for a vendor of a drug containing ephedrine, phenylpropanolamine, or pseudoephedrine or of a cosmetic that contains a precursor substance if the drug or cosmetic is lawfully sold, transferred, or furnished either over the counter without a prescription (Iowa Code Chapter 126) or with a prescription (Iowa Code Chapter 155A).Back to top
Reports to the Board
Precursor Substances Transaction Reports
Delivery in Iowa. Any manufacturer, retailer, or other person who sells, transfers, or otherwise furnishes a precursor substance to anyone within this state must report the transaction to the Board no less than 21 days prior to delivery of the substance.
Receipt from out-of-state source. Any vendor, recipient, or other person who receives a precursor substance from a source outside the state must submit to the Board a report of the transaction no more than 14 days following receipt of the substance.
Any vendor, recipient, or other person who is authorized to possess precursor substances must report to the Board within seven (7) days of discovering either of the following occurrences:
- Loss or theft of a precursor substance
- A difference between the amount of a precursor substance shipped and the amount of a precursor substance received
Monthly Reporting Options
Vendors who regularly transfer the same precursor substance to the same recipient may submit a request to the Board for authorization to submit the report of those transactions monthly. Requests for monthly reporting authorization must be received at the Board office at least 21 days prior to the Board meeting at which the request will be considered.
Vendors may also petition the Board to accept reports on a computer-generated basis. If approved, reports may be furnished in hard copy or in another Board-approved data storage format. The vendor will be responsible for the accuracy of all reports and the prompt correction of any data entry or transmission errors.Back to top
The following are exempt from the reporting requirements:
- A licensed pharmacist or other person authorized under Iowa Code Chapter 155A to sell or furnish a precursor substance upon the prescription of a practitioner
- A practitioner who administers or furnishes a precursor substance to a patient
- A manufacturer, wholesaler, retailer, or person who holds a permit issued by the Board and who sells, transfers, or otherwise furnishes a precursor substance to a practitioner or pharmacy as defined in Iowa Code section 155A.3
- Any retailer or person who sells, transfers, furnishes, or receives a drug containing ephedrine, phenylpropanolamine, or pseudoephedrine or a cosmetic containing a precursor substance if the drug or cosmetic is lawfully sold, transferred, or furnished over the counter without a prescription in accordance with Iowa Code Chapter 126