The Department of Inspections, Appeals, and Licensing now has eight divisions.
- Administration Division. Division staff handles communications, fiscal services, human resources, legal/legislative issues, project management, and purchasing.
- Administrative Hearings Division. Conducts appeals (contested case hearings) for several agencies including the Iowa departments of Transportation, Health and Human Services, and Workforce Development (unemployment).
- Building & Construction Division. Handles licensing, registration, plan reviews, and permits for program areas such as asbestos, amusement rides, building code, elevators and conveyences, electricians, manufactured homes, boilers, and HVAC systems.
- Health & Safety Division. Handles licensing and oversight for health facilities like nursing homes and assisted living programs, food establishments, hotels, and social and charitable gambling. Also manages the Iowa Direct Care Worker Registry, for CNAs who work in nursing homes.
- Investigations Division. Audits health care facilities, and conducts criminal, civil, and administrative investigations of fraud and misconduct. Works closely with other State and local partners in identifying fraud, waste, and abuse, and where appropriate, forward cases to federal, State, and local officials for prosecution.
- Labor/OSHA Division. Oversees occupational health and safety in Iowa; protects employees from dangers in the workplace. Handles whistleblower complaints, and bidder preferences for public works contracts.
- Licensing Division. Provides licensing and oversight for various medical professions and programs (e.g., physicians, nurses, pharmacists and pharmacies, dentists), as well as other professional licensure like social workers, sign language interpreters, accountants, architects, interior designers, land surveyors, and realtors.
- Workers' Compensation Division. Administers the Iowa workers' compensation system and serves as the neutral tribunal in Iowa workers' compensation cases.