You may apply for licensure in Iowa by examination. You must complete all steps to be eligible for a nursing license.
If you are a nurse educated outside the United States and have already passed the NCLEX, follow the steps on our Endorsement page.
Complete the NCLEX registration and pay the fee of $200 by one of the following methods:
- Go to the NCLEX website, then select Register Now and follow all instructions.
- You may also call 866-496-2539 (M-F from 7 AM – 7 PM CST)
Apply for a License
- Complete an Iowa Board of Nursing application through our online portal and pay the fee of $143.00. This fee is non-refundable.
- Your exact name, address, and email.
- Your Iowa Board of Nursing application and your NCLEX application must match your identification used to test.
NCLEX Accommodation Requests
Per Iowa Code, individuals with disabilities may request special testing accommodations. Contact the Board of Nursing before graduation to expedite the approval process.
Do not schedule your exam until you receive your accommodations approval letter.
Request Official Transcripts
Request official transcripts from your nursing program/school with a conferred degree. Please note: your transcript must be sent from your school. Unofficial transcripts are not accepted.
- Electronic transcripts may be sent through the National Student Clearinghouse ONLY.
- For those educated in a foreign country, your CGFNS report meets these requirements.
Submit all paper documents, including:
- two fingerprint cards
- criminal history background waiver form
- all criminal history documentation
- For more information, visit our Criminal Conviction Eligibility page
- Instructions for foreign educated nurses
Note: Your application cannot be processed if all documents are not received.
Authorization to Test
Once all steps are completed, you will receive your Authorization to Test (ATT) from PearsonVue.
Follow all instructions provided with your ATT.
Requesting Required Documentation
- Candidates of Iowa nursing programs will receive required documentation from their school.
- Iowa graduates who have not received required documentation must first complete the online application and pay the fee. Once completed, request paper documentation from the Board of Nursing.
- Graduates from out-of-state nursing programs who have not taken the NCLEX exam must first complete the online application and pay the fee. Once completed, request paper documentation from the Board of Nursing.
The IBON application for examination and the NCLEX registration will expire 90 days after authorization to test (ATT). These applications are valid for the dates indicated on the ATT. If your ATT expires, you will be required to re-submit both applications and both fees.
For questions, email us at email@example.com
Check Your License Status
If you would like to see the status of your license, visit our online portal and log into your account.