Related Topics:

Back to top

Faculty Permit

A faculty permit authorizes the holder to practice dentistry or dental hygiene as a faculty member CODA-accredited dental or dental hygiene programs and affiliated teaching facilities. The dean of the college or hygiene program must certify to the board that the applicant has been offered a faculty position. Applications for a faculty permit are available through the college of dentistry or dental hygiene school. Applicants are required to complete a criminal history background check.  Applicants must also submit license verifications from all states in which the applicant has been licensed, current certification in CPR, and other documentation.

A faculty permit is valid only so long as the holder remains a member of the faculty of the college of dentistry or faculty of a dental hygiene program in Iowa. Permit holders must follow all provisions of law related to the practice in Iowa.

Faculty permits expire on August 31 of every even-numbered year. Renewal of the permit requires 30 hours of continuing education and current certification in CPR. 

Back to top

Resident License

A dentist or dental hygienist seeking to practice as a resident, intern or graduate student in a CODA-accredited school may apply for a resident license. A resident license authorizes the individual to practice as a resident, intern, or graduate student under the supervision of a licensed dentist or faculty permit holder. Individual programs, such as the University of Iowa College of Dentistry, sets the requirements for admission the residency programs. Residency training programs are accredited by the Commission on Dental Education of the American Dental Association. Interested applicants will need to contact the accredited school for more information about their specialty training programs. Upon admission to the program, the university will coordinate the application process to obtain a resident license issued by the board.

A resident license is valid for the anticipated length of the training program. The program director of the residency program must submit an annual progress report on the status of residents. A resident who needs to extend the expiration date of the license must submit an application for extension to the board office.  The application must include a letter explaining the need for an extension, an extension fee, and a statement from the director of the resident training program attesting to the progress of the resident in the training program, the new expected date of completion of the program, and whether any disciplinary actions have been taken.

A resident licensee who changes resident training programs must apply for a new resident license. The new resident dental license application must also include a statement from the director of the applicant’s most recent residency program documenting the applicant’s progress in the program.

If a resident licensee leaves the program during the tenure of residency, the license is considered null and void. The program director should also notify the board of the licensee concluding their participation within the program. 

Back to top

Temporary Permits

A temporary permit may be issued to authorize a permit holder to practice dentistry or dental hygiene on a short-term basis in Iowa at a specific location(s). Temporary permits may be issued only for the following reasons:

  1. To fulfill an urgent need;
  2. To serve an educational purpose; or
  3. To provide volunteer services.

A temporary permit is NOT meant as a way to practice before a permanent license is granted, or as a means to practice because the applicant does not meet the requirements for a permanent license. Temporary permits may be granted on a case-by-case basis. The issuance of a temporary permit has no long-term implications for licensure.

Temporary permits are issued to applicants for practice at a specific location (or locations) in Iowa for up to three months. If the need changes or the permit holder wishes to continue in short-term assignments in other Iowa locations, the permit holder is expected to seek permanent licensure. Following expiration of the permit, the permit holder must either obtain a new temporary permit to continue to practice in Iowa or obtain a permanent license. 

Application for a temporary permit requires the applicant to provide information about their dental education and training, and verification of all credentials. Proof of current CPR is also required for temporary permit applicants. All temporary permit applicants must also submit a letter of need that establishes the need for the permit, dates the applicant’s services are needed, and the location or locations where services will be delivered.

Temporary Permit to Fulfill an Urgent Need or Serve an Educational Purpose

Applicants must hold an active license in another state that was issued on the basis of clinical examination. Applicants must have been engaged in the practice of dentistry for at least three (3) years immediately preceding application for the temporary permit.

Note: A practitioner is limited to a maximum of three (3) temporary permits to fulfill an urgent need or serve an educational purpose.

Temporary Permit to Volunteer

Applicants must hold an active, permanent license to practice in at least one state. The license must have been issued on the basis of clinical examination. A temporary permit to provide volunteer services is valid for a specific location, which must be a free clinic or a dental clinic for a nonprofit organization, and the applicant cannot receive compensation for providing dental services.

All potential applicants for a temporary permit are encouraged to contact the Board office prior to applying to review their eligibility for a permit.  

Dental Board Application & Renewal Fees

A list of fees related to the application and renewal of licenses and registrations in Iowa.

Back to top