Related Topics:

Medical & Health Field Jobs
Online Services

Apply for a License, Registration or Permit Online

Use our online service portal for application, renewal, reports & payments. Some services require a user account.

List of Testing Sites

Complete list of community college testing sites that regularly administer the board examinations in jurisprudence, infection control, and dental radiography.

Definitions Related to the Practice of Dentistry

Practice of dentistry as defined in Iowa Code section 153, and other definitions that apply to dental practice.

Dentists licensed in this state shall not administer moderate sedation, deep sedation, or general anesthesia in the practice of dentistry unless they have obtained the appropriate sedation permit from the board. 

Dentists licensed in this state shall not administer nitrous oxide inhalation analgesia in the practice of dentistry until they have complied with the provisions of the IAC 650--Chapter 29. Note: A sedation permit is not required for the administration of minimal sedation (anxiolysis). 

Licensure and Examination Requirements

Overview of licensing & examination requirements in Iowa for a dental or dental hygiene license.

Back to top

Graduates of Foreign Dental Schools

To be eligible, graduates of foreign dental schools must complete a postgraduate general practice residency of at least one (1) year, or two (2) years of undergraduate supplemental education at an accredited dental school. While the foreign dental school graduate does not need to have a D.D.S. or D.M.D. degree, the applicant must submit evidence showing that the educational requirements have been met. A diploma, degree or certificate must be awarded to the applicant upon successful completion of the program.

About half of the accredited U.S. dental schools consider graduates of foreign dental schools for advanced standing admission – meaning the gradate may be eligible to be admitted to the regular dental degree program as a second or third year student. For more information about any of these programs, contact the dental school directly.

For more information about licensure requirements, refer to Iowa Administrative Code 650--Chapter 11.  For more information about licensure of foreign dental graduates in other states, visit the website of the American Dental Association (ADA).

Back to top

Rule Waivers

A graduate of a foreign dental school who does not meet the requirements specified above may be eligible to apply for a waiver of these rules. In general, the Board has approved waiver requests in cases where the applicant has completed at least one year of a general practice residency program at an accredited dental school.  You mail file a petition for rule waiver petition here.

Dental Board Application & Renewal Fees

A list of fees related to the application and renewal of licenses and registrations in Iowa.

Iowa Dental Board

The Iowa Dental Board licenses and regulates the practice of dentistry, dental hygiene & dental assisting in Iowa.

Back to top