An applicant may qualify for licensure by reciprocity based upon their active license from another state. The applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Be a resident of AR, GA, LA, MA, MN, MS, or ND
- Received their original license from that state
- Will have their Iowa license assigned to the same real estate company that holds that license.
The steps in obtaining your Iowa license are:
- Submit to a state and national criminal history background check through the Iowa Real Estate Commission.
- Contact your state licensing agency to request certificate of license history (letter of good standing) be sent to you. This document must also include the method of licensure (exam, reciprocity, other, etc.) and what real estate company holds your license.
Once you have your certificate of license history and have knowledge that your criminal history background check is complete you can submit your application electronically through your "My Iowa PLB" contact. You must attach the following (PDF format preferred) to your application:
Your original certificate of license history and proof of errors and omissions insurance coverage in Iowa.
Broker officers will also need to license their firm if the firm is not yet licensed in Iowa. Please contact the Commission office (515-725-9022 ext. 8) for more information.
If you have any questions about real estate licensing please contact our Licensing Specialist by calling 515-725-9022 ext. 8 or by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org
If you do not meet all the requirements for licensure by reciprocity see how to receive licensure by Administrative Rule 5.3.