- Submit an application online and pay the application fee. The application fee is $300. Note: All application fees are nonrefundable.
- Education: Official transcripts conferring a doctoral degree from an accredited optometry college or university. Transcripts must be sent directly to the board from the school.
Foreign-trained applicants should contact the board staff for more information about educational requirements.
- Examination: Official examination results for all current National Board of Examiners in Optometry (NBEO) examinations
Note: Exam scores must be sent directly from the exam service to the board. The applicant is responsible for contacting the examining body to request the scores be sent to the board.
Licensure in Another State if applicable: Applicants that have previously been licensed, registered or certified in another state must provide official verification of licensure for all states in which the applicant has received a license.
- The license verification must include the following:
- Issue date
- Expiration date
- Status of license including a reference to any pending or past disciplinary action.
- Email verification of a passing score for the NBEO examinations that are current at the time of initial licensure
- Submit documentation for one of the following:
- Practice as an optometrist for a minimum of 2,080 hours during the preceding two-year period;
- Employment as a faculty member teaching optometry in an accredited school of optometry for at least one academic year during the preceding two-year period;
- Completion of a minimum of 50 hours of continuing education during the preceding two- year period; or
- Passing the NBEO examinations during the preceding two-year period.
Licensees may renew your license 60 days before the current expiration date. Multiple renewal notifications will be sent if the license has not yet been renewed. Licensees are encouraged to renew early to avoid a late fee or lapse in licensure.
All continuing education requirements must be completed prior to submitting your application for renewal.Back to top
American Optometric Association
243 North Lindbergh Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63141
Tel: (202) 712-9040 or (800) 365-2219
Fax: (314) 991-4101
Iowa Optometric Association
1454 30th St. Suite 204
West Des Moines, IA 50266-1312
Tel: (515) 222-5679 or (800) 444-1772
Fax: (515) 222-9073
National Board of Examiners in Optometry
Tel: (800) 969-3926