If you have not been paid what you are owed you may file a wage claim. One of the most common reasons for underpayment is illegal deductions. You may also be owed unpaid vacation, unreimbursed employee expenses or unpaid commissions.



The Iowa Department of Inspections, Appeals, and Licensing (DIAL) enforces Iowa wage law, including the Iowa minimum wage.

We only accept claims for wages when the following applies:

  • Less than one year (365 days) since the wages were due.
  • The amount owed must be less than $6,500.
  • The work was performed in the State of Iowa.

You also have the right to sue on your own or by a private attorney.

If your referral is due to overtime pay issues, contact the U.S. Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Office, which enforces overtime law.


Complete a Wage Claim Form

Complete a Wage Claim Form, provided in English or Spanish.

For federal wage claims, contact the United States Department of Labor.



DIAL will review the wage claim referral and begin its investigation.

An investigator will contact you for further information and explanation of the investigation process. 


Wage Collection

DIAL will take steps to collect your wages from your employer including filing a lawsuit on your behalf.