How to apply by mail for a migrant labor camp permit.


Please review Iowa Code Chapter 138 and Iowa Administrative Code 641 Chapter 81 information very carefully.

Apply by Mail

Download the "Application for Permit" and "Compliance Checklist" and mail it to: DIAL Migrant Labor Camp Permitting, 6200 Park Avenue, Suite 100, Des Moines, IA 50321.

  • The application must be filled out completely with an answer to every question either "yes," "no," or "not applicable" (NA).
  • Only the answer choices that are provided are acceptable. (For example: You may not create your own "NA" box to a question.)
  • The checklist must be filled out and signed in ink. No pencil.
  • Include a camp diagram of the camp building(s). 

Failure to follow any of the above action steps may result in your application packet being returned to you.


If you plan to construct, reconstruct, or enlarge a camp or portion thereof, or facility of a camp, or to convert a property for use or occupancy as a camp you must notify the department in writing at least 15 days prior to the beginning of any construction, reconstruction, enlargement or conversion (Iowa Code Chapter 138.15).


If you plan to operate a migrant labor camp you must have your application to the department at least 60 days in advance of occupancy (Iowa Code Chapter 138.3).

DIAL's migrant labor camp coordinator has 30 days to review your packet and issue the permit. Please plan accordingly.

The permit is good for one year from the date of issuance and is not transferable if there is a change in operator or if it is revoked.


The Iowa Department of Inspections, Appeals, and Licensing is charged with managing the Migrant Labor Camp program according to Iowa Code Chapter 138. This means that the department permits and may conduct inspections at migrant labor camps. All H-2A labor camps are inspected and approved by DIAL's Division of Labor.

If you have an H-2A labor camp, DIAL will contact you to schedule this inspection after your petition is submitted to the Chicago National Processing Center.

If you house both H-2A and domestic workers, housing must be approved by DIAL.