Back to top

Board Review of Complaint Information

Information found during an investigation is taken before the board for consideration. If the board finds the complaint needs addressed through discipline, the board staff will:

  • Schedule a hearing, and
  • Provide the nurse legal notice of the scheduled event.
Back to top

Contested Case Resolution

An informal settlement agreement may be proposed before the hearing. An informal settlement eliminates the need for formal proceedings. Nurses named in a Statement of Charges have the option to retain legal counsel, at their own expense, or represent themselves during this process. The board may impose one or more of the following sanctions as disposition in a contested case:

  • Continuing Education
  • Citation and Warning
  • Probation
  • Suspension
  • Civil Penalty
  • Revocation

Please Note: Iowa Administrative Code allows the licensee to have due process. We appreciate your patience, as the complaint process can be lengthy.

Discipline Documents obtained from the website are true and accurate copies of the board order.

Back to top

Reinstatement Process for Restricted Licenses

There is not an application form for reinstatement of license. The reinstatement process begins by writing a letter. This should state the circumstances that led to your restricted license. If the board order does not have a specific period of restriction, you must wait one year from the proof of service date. Include the resolution and evidence to support why the board should reinstate your license.

Evidence may include:

  • Supporting letters of recommendation
  • Proof of continuing education
  • Proof of completed nurse refresher course

For licenses restricted due to substance abuse concerns, please provide the following:

  • A complete substance abuse evaluation
  • Proof of sobriety
  • Proof of treatment
  • Aftercare documentation

Mail your letter and supporting documentation with your name, address, and phone number to 6200 Park Ave, Des Moines, IA 50321.

Once received, an investigator will prepare your case for Board review. You may need to appear in person at a Board meeting hearing. If you have questions, please e-mail the Enforcement Unit.

Iowa Administrative Code Chapter 20.36 further explains how to request reinstatement of licensure.


Back to top

Iowa Nurse Assistance Program

Information about the Iowa Nurse Assistance Program (INAP) is available here.

Back to top

Complaints the IBON Will Not Investigate

The Iowa Board of Nursing investigates LPNs, RNs, and ARNPs.

The Board does not regulate the following:

  • An unlicensed person claiming to be a nurse.  The board has no jurisdiction over these individuals. Contact the county attorney.
  • Certified Nursing Assistants, Certified Medication Aides, Nurse Aides
    • Contact the Iowa Department of Inspections, Appeals, and Licensure at 515-281-0108 or visit their website.
  • Other unlicensed personnel, such as medical assistants and residential care workers. Contact the employer.
  • Labor/Personnel issues (such as how many hours you work, an employer owing you pay, or staffing issues).
    • Contact the Iowa Division of Labor at 515-242-5870. 
  • Physicians.
    • Contact the Iowa Board of Medicine at
  • Physician Assistants.
    • Contact the Iowa Board of Physician Assistants 
  • Insurance coverage or other billing grievances.
Back to top