Individual practitioners and individual researchers may now do the following online at

  • Apply for an initial Iowa Controlled Substances Act (CSA) Registration
  • Apply for an additional CSA registration for a separate location where the practitioner or researcher maintains supplies of controlled substances
  • Reactivate a CSA registration that expired more than four months ago

This online application is not to be used for CSA registrations for businesses. More applications will become available online in the future.

If you have questions about the CSA registration for individuals, please contact Sharon Smith at